Friday, July 27, 2007

Why so many different math tools?

I was recently having an online conversation with someone from one of my many Yahoo groups and they asked me about possible overload from my choices of math tools for my thirteen year old son.

Our plan is to use Saxon grade level math:Algebra 1/2 along with "Keys" to fraction and decimals and some Math U See. The later two being primarly for review and remediation.

My reply:
I'm really not sure about the overload factor. I know we need to cover for mastering and recall.

The Algebra 1/2 starts off with similar review. I wanted to have different approaches to cover that review, just to be certain that I've offered different modes of learning styles to my son. We are still exploring how he learns best.

The small chunks from the Keys and hand-on from Math U See may be a break through for him to hit the Saxon textbook with added confidence.

We are learning that Homeschooling is a process with many different paths. It takes lots of prayer, willingness to try different, custom paths and lots of room for imagination/creativity from both the parent and child.

Previously, in my career life of mortgage banking, I've always told my team that I'm not looking to re-invent the wheel, but in this season of my life, I hold in the back of my mind the words of Robert Frost when he explained the less traveled path he took. He said, "...that has made all the difference."

As a mother of a thirteen year son who has not yet begun to imagine the possibilities of our learning days at home, I have to be the one uncovering the paths on the road. I do believe from listening to all of your journeys that one day he will pull me aside and say something like, "Mama, I really would like to try to learn this by doing it this way." Eureka!, I'm hopeful for his imagination and creativity.

I love listening and talking to you and others about the nature of homeschooling. I try to keep my mind wide open to piggy back on those things that may stimulate our homeschooling journey. Thank you for holding me accountable.

No comments:

Welcome!!!

It's not a coincidence. I truly believe you were meant to be here. Thank you for spending some time with me discovering the small but important things. In this blog I share my thoughts on family, friends, trials and triumphs. You will find links and thoughts that are dear to my heart as I grow daily in being a Godly wife, mother, daughter, grand-daughter, sister, home school novice and friend.