Friday, July 27, 2007

Family Vacation- Days 3




Day three-Roanke, Texas- Heneritta Farms &
Fort Worth, Texas-FW Science Place and Museums

On day three we set out for a shorter road trip. It was only around one hour, just past Fort Worth. I had found an online farm with over 700 hybrid breeds of apple trees and some peaches. The apples were ready for picking. We had missed the peach picking season. I had planned to read more from "Paddle to the Sea" and our adventures in "20,000 leagues under the Sea"; however, my husband being moved by the Holy Spirit felt a deeper prompting and in the garage before pulling off he lead a mini study time covering our assurance of salvation. He read from Jude.

Since our daughter is getting baptized this Sunday, we go some good feedback from the younger two. Staying in the same vein, no fiction today, I read from a Bible storytime book that my daughter had brought for the road trip. The short story was about giving from your best, not the left over. Even our oldest participated during the question time. It was beautiful! We'll see if they, as well as us (dad and mom), remember this principle as time goes by.

The farm owners definitely practiced giving their best. They opened their land and cook house to us, perfect strangers. They taught us how to pick the apples without hurting the tree or being wasteful. Picking the apples and romping around on the farm was picture book quality. All three kids enjoyed looking for the just the right apples to pick. We saw famailiars like Galas and Granny Smiths and many, many hybrids. We were allowed to taste them right off the tree. They were delicious.

My husband told us stories of picking peaches in his grandmother's backyard. We were all mesmerized by God's nature all around the farm. We even learned that the loofa sponges we have in our bathrooms do not grow in the sea but actually grown on a tree. It was amazing to see the over foot long loofas hanging from an enormous tree that resembled pictures I'd created in my mind after reading Jack and the Beanstalk.

We then loaded our apples in the wagon in the back of the van and headed off to Fort Worth to visit the FW Science Museum which was featuring a Star Wars exhibit. It was a personal pick from my husband.

My husband took so many pictures in the Star Wars exhibit that he batteries ran low on the camera. My oldest son is so into the mechanics of how things work that he took right away to one of the stations set up to build a magnetic car. We all tried but naturally his was the only one to really work properly.

We finished up with a walk through the Cowgirl museum and lots of experiments with different accounts of perception. I think my husband and our oldest son enjoyed this one the more than the rest of us. I got dizzy around the third experiment.

We had a wonderful third day of our vacation at home.

No comments:

Welcome!!!

It's not a coincidence. I truly believe you were meant to be here. Thank you for spending some time with me discovering the small but important things. In this blog I share my thoughts on family, friends, trials and triumphs. You will find links and thoughts that are dear to my heart as I grow daily in being a Godly wife, mother, daughter, grand-daughter, sister, home school novice and friend.