Friday, June 29, 2007

Jehovah Jireh - My Provider

Genesis 22:14 introduces the name of God as being a provider. God is shown as being a provider to Abraham when he was faithful and took his son Isaac up to the mountains to be a sacrifice. That place was named Jehovah Jireh because it was where a God provided a sacrifice.

It was this passage that I awoke with in my heart as an answer to a conversation I had had with a friend just yesterday. As a result of an unfortunate job circumstance my friend was informing me that she and her husband would not be able to use my preschool services for their child. In my trying to encourage her in her situation and well as me in my own family's financial hardship that this unfortunate circumstance had created, I quoted to her, "When the Lord closes one door another will open". To put it another way, God is Jehovah Jireh- My provider.

Now this statement I made was not setting well inside and by the time that I had awaken the Holy Spirit had created in me a desire to find biblical truth to what I had said. Now being biblically correct is always important since a person's relationship with God as their Savior is not always known or evident. I knew that my encouragement should always point to God. I was not sure that I had done that.

I looked in the concordance in the back of my bible for the words where "door, open, close" were used and I found nothing in that context. I thought of stories from the bible that demonstrated this statement that I had quoted and the one story that I remembered was from Genesis 22:1-14. It was the story where Abraham took Isaac to the mountains to sacrifice him. Abraham believed by faith that God would have both he and Isaac return down the mountain after the sacrifice. Now that's faith. It was when Abraham had drawn his knife for the sacrifice that he heard the tugging of a ram in the caught in the bushes. It was a ram that God provided for the sacrifice. It was a moment of faith and testing. It was a moment that God revealed Himself as Abraham's provider.

After remembering the story I planned to read it in my bible after my daily devotion- "Drawing Near" by John MacArthur. I preceded to my devotion dated June 29th and there it was. A whole devotion on "Enjoying Friendship with God" with a Further Study section leading to the book of Genesis 22:1-19. The Holy Spirit could not have spoken to me more clearer.

So, today when my friend brings over my precious little preschool student for her last day, I will be prepared to share a biblical perspective on the unfortunate circumstance that effects both of our families. I will able to encourage the both of us with the beautiful illustration of God truly closing one door and opening another.

I can truly say that God does work everything for good for those that love Him- Romans 8:28.

It was because if this unfortunate circumstance that revealed God's constant love and care for us. He truly gives us all we need, at the time we need it most.





6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I actually googled "Jehovah Jireh" today as I am seeking the Lord to be my provider. Your Blog was very encouraging. Thanks for the post. I am choosing to meditate on these truths instead of stressing! :)

Cynthia said...

Thanks Leah!! We will stand/meditate together on this truth as my life too is ever changing and challenging. God Bless You!!!

Mona said...

Hi Cynthia!
I too googled JEHOVAH JIREH because this morning in church I wanted to share with the body what the WORD says about Him being our provider. I know it, because He's proved to me over and over how much he cares about me. I am encouraged by your writing, and look forward to coming back to read more soon.
Thanks,
Mona in Vermont

Cynthia said...

Thank you Mona!

I too needed a refresher point on this very biblical issue.

Your friends will be blessed in hearing this truth.

God Bless You!

Inspire Me World said...

Hi Cynthia, I too googled Jehovah Jireh to search out a deeper meaning.I have to minister on tomorrow and believe as you do in being biblically correct and always pointing to God. As a matter of fact the lesson is entitled It's all about God. A topic that my mother suggested that I speak on (bless her soul). In addition, today while riding home with my assistant Pastor we began a conversation about Abraham's faith in God to provide himself a lamb, thus I have confirmation too. Thanks for sharing.

Sharon said...

Thank you Cynthia for this encouraging message and for being faithful to share it. My rent is due for July and I admit I am somewhat worried because bank accout says we don't have enough to pay it. The Lord gave me the song Jehovah Jireh and when I googled it I found your blog. Thank you, for I realize that what is in my bank acct is irrelevant to God being able to meet my needs. He is the inexpendable source and I must trust Him. He is good, He is faithful, and His word won't fail. Thank you Cynthia and Gos bless you

Welcome!!!

It's not a coincidence. I truly believe you were meant to be here. Thank you for spending some time with me discovering the small but important things. In this blog I share my thoughts on family, friends, trials and triumphs. You will find links and thoughts that are dear to my heart as I grow daily in being a Godly wife, mother, daughter, grand-daughter, sister, home school novice and friend.