Monday, November 5, 2007

Rock, Paper, Scissor

I thought we could manage with sharing one tube of toothpaste until payday which by my calculations would help out with the budget...(Wow, it saved $4.50 for Tom's Natural Toothpaste). So this morning while I was dashing into my kids bathroom to use the only tube of toothpaste in house I was able to witness a ritual my 13yo and 7yo had been doing for some time now and I was pleasantly surprised and proud of them.

I had known for awhile now that I had not heard any fussing between the two of them for weeks about who got to the bathroom first. I never knew the reason but accepted the calm mornings as I held my breath. It was a welcomed change to the usual morning madness.

Well, this morning on my way out of their bathroom both of them reach the door at the same time but instead of the usual pushing or whining out, "I got here first", I heard my 13yo say with eyes still waking up, "Paper, Rock, Scissors". Then, without another word said my 7yo, her too with eyes still waking up, in unision with the 13yo began to form their hands to either Paper, Rock, Scissors.

My daughter won and so my son said two out of three. They proceeded to shake their hands to Paper, Rock, Scissors for two more rounds. My daughter won two out of three and quietly entered into the bathroom and closed the door. No other words were spoken. My son went back to his room to snooze until she came out.

I think I woke up the reminder of the sleeping eyes in the house as I told them how proud I was of them of how they had worked out the morning bathroom problem. They both looked at me with expressions that said every bit of, "Mom, we got it under control".

I thank God for both of their maturity in their roles of big brother, little sister as well as learning how to resolve conflict. It is truly a step to contentment and peace.

I would also love to think that the scriptures that I have written, and illustrated for the 4yo, have been hidden in their hearts.


Proverbs 15

A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.


No comments:

Welcome!!!

It's not a coincidence. I truly believe you were meant to be here. Thank you for spending some time with me discovering the small but important things. In this blog I share my thoughts on family, friends, trials and triumphs. You will find links and thoughts that are dear to my heart as I grow daily in being a Godly wife, mother, daughter, grand-daughter, sister, home school novice and friend.